Director: George
Romero
PLOT: George Romero has always come up with new ways of treating
his zombies, and Diary of the Dead is no exception: Romero keeps his
dead fresh, with an original approach to the undying subject. This one purports
to be the video record of a group of young people who are shooting a low-budget
horror movie when the terror strikes: corpses begin re-animating, intent on
chewing the living. Our heroes trek across Pennsylvania, encountering the
staggering zombies as they go. Other pieces of video are incorporated, which
gives Romero a chance at some great set-pieces, including the brilliant opening
sequence, a live local-TV feed that goes horribly, horribly wrong, and a
home-video tape from a family birthday party, where the party clown turns out
to be a dead ringer. All of Romero's Dead films are political, and this
one's no exception, with a stark view of the way things are today; it doesn't
offer the Hawksian heroics of the survivors in Dawn of the Dead or Land
of the Dead for comfort, just a group of bickering, shocked youths. There's
too much talk about the detachment of watching things through a lens, but in
general this is a bracing, intelligent movie. Plus, there's some excellent
splatter.
UGLY
MOLLY RATING:
Five
Brains
Not
as realistic as I had hoped for, nor as frightening, considering it was Romero.
I was a bit let down. No anxiety, no fear. The
atmosphere in this one is lacking, to say the least. “George makes some great
points, some important profound statements, and then shows something totally
absurd to spoil the moment.” ß Yeah, what he said! This one was
not a winner, as much as I love Romero films. It was entertaining if you have
not seen it, and as a zombie buff I will watch anything with zombies in it that
I can, especially one by Romero. But sadly, I have to admit that this was a
huge disappointment. Romero has made a couple real boners lately.
Budget: $2,000,000
Gross: $952,620

No comments:
Post a Comment